The water powered corn mill at Warwick Bridge corn mill has recently been restored to working order by the Cultura Trust. During the restoration work an archaeologist was employed to monitor the work on the site and building. He also did a considerable amount of research into the history of the mill itself. Whilst this history is fairly complete it has thrown up a number of issues at a tangent for which we are seeking any possible further information.
1) The large waterwheel 15ft 10 in diameter 10ft wide was installed by William Bell in 1845 (cast into one of the shroud plates of the wheel). We know William Bell took over from Mr James Milligan a millwright in Lowther St, Carlisle in 1841 (adverts in Carlisle Journal) and continued to practice as a millwright in the Carlisle area until his death in 1898.
What we would like to know does anyone know of any other work he is known to have done and does anyone have any information on Mr James Milligan. One of the other questions is did he have facilities to cast a large wheel on his premises in Lowther Street or would it be cast at one of the more recognised foundries in the city?
2) There are 2 pairs of stones in the mill which have been used to process oats. Both sets are to worn to return to use but have been conserved with their associated furniture. Both sets are a mixed set with Lazonby sandstone bed stones and a gritstone runner. There is a number of adverts for Lazonby Fell quarries producing millstones in the early nineteenth century and there is a report of a pair at Little Salkeld mill and in the 1980s an edge runner stone was still in one of the quarries. There is a damaged one at Potts ghyll farm near Caldbeck also. Does anyone have any more information on Lazonby Fell quarries in general and in mill stone production specifically or know of any more examples still extant.
Any information would be gratefully received and acknowledged in any publication.